Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

06 October 2014

Ray Charles Live In Antibes (1978)

On 16 and 17 July 1978 Ray Charles once again headlined the Jazz à Juan festival in Antibes/Juan-les-Pins. The concert on the 16th was dedicated (by the festival organization, but of course happily endorsed by Ray) to special guest Ella Fitzgerald.
She is "not here to sing," Ray explained to the audience, "but to listen and pay attention". Together with Don Wilkerson, Ray gave Come Rain Or Come Shine a special 'Ella treatment'.

16 July:
01. I'm Gonna Go Fishin' (Ray Charles Orchestra)
02. Road Rats (Ray Charles Orchestra)
03. Intro 
04. Mary Ann
05. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
06. Georgia On My Mind
07. Feel So Bad
08. Ray dedicates concert and spec. next song to Ella
09. Come Rain Or Come Shine (DW - ts)
10. Intro Raelettes
11. Love Is What We Need
12. Guess Who I Saw Today
13. Don't Change On Me
14. I Can't Stop Loving You
15. I Can See Clearly Now
16. The Jealous kind
17. What'd I Say
18. Outro

17 July:
01. Intro concert
02. Metamorphosis (Ray Charles Orchestra)
03. Brazilian Skies (Ray Charles Orchestra)
04. Intro RC
05. Marie
06. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
07. Georgia On My Mind
08. Feel So Bad
09. Yesterday
10. For Mamma
11. Then We'll Be Home (Sadies Tune)
12. Intro Raelettes
13. Love Is What We Need
14. Guess Who I Saw Today
15. We're Gonna Make It
16. I Can't Stop Loving You
17. I Can See Clearly Now
18. Blues For Big Scotia (intro: Pop Goes The Weasel)
19. What'd I Say (intro: I'm Gonna Keep On Singing)
20. Outro

Personnel:
Musicians: Johnny Coles, Mark Hatch (or James Smith?), David Hines, Mark Van Sickle - trumpets; Steve Calia, Ken Tussing, Lawrence "Tricky" Lofton, John Boice - trombones; Brian Mitchell - as, Clifford Solomon - as, bandleader; Rudy Johnson, Donald Wilkerson - ts; Ed Pratt - bs; Eugene Ross - guitar; Steve Beskrone - bass; Peter Turre - d; Bob Harris - keyboards. The Raelettes: Cheryl (a.k.a. Chrylynn) Cobb, Dorothy Berry (Durr), Trudy Cohran, Estella Yarbrough, Linda Sims.

No comments :

Post a Comment